Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2023 at the University of Cape Town (Fully-Funded)
The University of Cape Town (UCT) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholars’ Program: an educational initiative that provides academically talented young people from economically disadvantaged communities in Africa with access to quality university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and values of engaged citizenship and social justice underpinned whose transition into the workforce.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually, subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
- Academically talented—value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged—facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back—investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have gained.
- Future leaders—committed to embracing ethical leadership and changing their home communities.
- Comprehensive financial help with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognised education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support—to ensure that each scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
Comprehensive financial help includes:
- Visa application costs.
- Travel costs to and from South Africa and including travel insurance.
- Full tuition and international student fees, including any application fees to UCT.
- Full accommodation and living expenses, including medical aid, books, stipends and transport.
- Residences provide accommodation for undergraduate men and women students who are usually under the age of 21. These residences provide students with up to three meals a day in a dining hall. In all instances awarded Scholars will be provided with the necessary financial means to afford food services.
- Research, development and academic travel costs as approved or recommended by UCT and The Mastercard Foundation (for postgraduate students only).
- Access to internship opportunities and ad hoc costs related to such participation.
- There are no application fees for applying to the Scholars Program at UCT.
APPLY ALSO FOR:
Chevening Scholarships for Outstanding Emerging Leaders 2023
- The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
How to Apply
In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.