Helmut-Schmidt Programme Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance, 2023
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme supports future leaders from developing countries who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The German Federal Foreign Office funds the programme. It offers the chance to gain a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin. In the light of the principles of Good Governance, the graduates with a first academic degree are in political science, law, economics and administration and are prepared for future leading positions in their home countries.
The aim of the programme is to further qualify future leaders from the areas of politics, law, business and administration based on the principles of good governance, and to prepare them for their future professional activities in a practice-oriented manner. Highly qualified graduates who have a first higher education degree are to get a master’s degree in subjects that are significant regarding social, political and economic development in their countries of origin. The skills and experiences gained in Germany will enable the funded individuals to contribute to establishing economic and social forms. They are also democratically oriented and designed to overcome social inequalities in their home countries. With the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme, the DAAD strives to contribute to promoting good governance and civil society structures in developing and emerging countries.
Highly qualified graduates from developing and emerging countries (see list of countries) who have got their first higher education degree in the subject areas of political and social studies, economics and business administration, legal and administrative sciences.
The most important selection criteria are:
- Higher education degree got with above average results (top third of graduates)
- Language certificates (requirements vary depending on the respective course of study)
- Political and/or social involvement is an advantage
- Evidence of internships and/or professional experience.
- A conclusive account of the applicant’s academic and personal motivation for the study endeavour in Germany and for choosing and prioritising the courses of study
- An account of the applicant’s perspectives upon returning to their home country or region
The following groups are not eligible:
- Applicants who got their most recent higher education degree over six years before submitting their application.
- The Applicants who lives in a country that is not in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for over 15 months at the time of the application deadline. Applicants who already hold a master’s degree in a similar discipline can only be considered in well-justified cases. They must also be able to explain conclusively why they would like to get another master’s degree.
All courses of study have their own application requirements (degree, grades, language skills, work experience, etc.) that any interested individuals must also meet.
Please check the Call for Application for requirements.
Rhodes Scholarship for Postgraduate Study at the University of Oxford, 2023
- Scholarships (of currently €861 per month) for master´s degree courses at German higher education institutions.
- Academic education in the courses of study selected will take place from September/October 2022. The courses of study also have an international focus and in German and/or English.
- Health insurance cover in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the developing countries in question and Germany
- A study and research grant
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
- Preceding German language course in Germany; or digitally in the country of origin, depending on the latest pandemic regulations), usually lasting 6 months. Participation is mandatory.
The application period for all eight higher education institutions is from 1 June until 31 July 2022.
Do you need more information on this programme, you can also visit DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.